Mechanical polishing is the smoothing of a surface using mechanical tools and abrasives. Mechanical polishing is performed in steps with progressively finer abrasives until a desired smoothness is achieved. The precision polishing process removes material and plastically deforms the surface while it alters the macroscopic and microscopic surface texture.
Benefits of Mechanical Polishing:
- Improve surface finish
- Reduce product adhesion
- Improve surface cleanability
- Improve aesthetic appeal
At Harrison Electropolishing we have the experience and expertise to meet the most stringent requirements of today's industries. Our unique process combines precision mechanical polishing techniques, the latest precision polishing equipment, several proprietary components and over 30 years of experience to deliver the quality and service you require. We have a broad range of capabilities; from basic deburring of a cast, forged or fabricated parts, to ultra fine finishing for high purity applications.
Common Terminology that describes Mechanical Polishing:
- Ra – Roughness Average – The arithmetic average of the measured peaks and valleys within the microscopic surface texture.
- RMS – Root Mean Square Roughness – The root mean square average of the measured peaks and valleys within the microscopic surface texture.
- Grit – Used to designate the coarseness of an abrasive. The higher the number, the finer the abrasive. Typically specified from 60 grit (coarse) to 320 (fine) and up.
- Descriptive Finishes, #4, #8, etc. – These once commonly used surface descriptions are defined in Nickel Development Institute No 9012 and other specifications. These are written descriptions with no quantifiable measure of acceptance. They are subjective and are not the ideal designator of a surface finish.
- Grade Number – Surface finish grade numbers (N4,N6, etc), detailed within ISO 1302:1992, are used to designate surface roughnesses. A full description of these values is found in our FAQs.
Please contact our sales department for any assistance you may require. We will help you select the precision mechanical polishing finish that is best suited for your particular application.
Contact one of our sales representatives today
to inquire about a quote from Harrison EP or call us today at 832.467.3100